the Master of Science in Sustainable Business.
Having a career and having a purpose can go hand in hand. A Master in Sustainable Business is your opportunity to be a force for good inside a company: making positive impacts on the environment and society in a way that increases the long-term value of the firm and is consistent with the firm’s strategy and vision. Being on the forefront of this emerging field is fundamental to the future of business. In Miami Business School’s Master of Science in Sustainable Business, our unique interdisciplinary team unites business, science, theory and practice, to provide a forward-thinking foundation for those focused on where the world is headed. We’ll give you the tools and skills necessary to turn your purpose into action. At the University of Miami, transform yourself into a sought-after professional who has the potential to transform how the world works.
THE MIAMI ADVANTAGE.
This sustainability master’s program leverages highly rated faculty at the Miami Business School, the environmental expertise of the University of Miami’s world-renowned Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, and the industry-leading Department of Civil Architecture and Environmental Engineering – creating an integrated platform for our sustainability graduate program. Miami is uniquely positioned as a center of sustainability simply because its future depends on successfully deploying the tenets of these programs.
of the firms in the S&P 500 now publish sustainability reports.
Nearly two-thirds of consumers across six international markets believe they “have a responsibility to purchase products that are good for the environment and society.”
One study found that morale was 55% better in companies with strong sustainability programs, compared to those with poor ones and employee loyalty was 38% better.
The number of companies with full-time sustainability officers doubled between 1995 and 2003 and doubled again between 2003 and 2008.
The size of the socially responsible investment assets under management reached $8.72 trillion in 2016, nearly 22% of the total assets under management.
A UNIQUE PROGRAM FOR UNIQUE BUSINESS CHALLENGES.
The program is built on three principles:
A FOCUS ON BUSINESS:
- Rigorous curriculum that rethinks core business disciplines to focus on sustainability.
- Requires capstone/project course for which students will do a sustainability project for a firm/organization.
DATA-DRIVEN AND INFORMED BY SCIENCE:
- Students will receive training in the scientific basics through interdisciplinary electives from the Rosenstiel School (RSMAS) and/or Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering (CAE).
- Students will learn how to achieve the most social benefit at minimum cost to a firm. Science courses and a course in non-market valuation will teach students how to statistically estimate the benefits to society of sustainability programs, so that firms can focus on programs that provide the largest impact.
CORPORATE SUSTAINABILITY (ESG):
- Our world-class faculty have expertise in all three pillars (environment, social, and governance) of corporate sustainability and related expertise in areas such as supply chain risk and the RSMAS and CAE faculty provide expertise in the scientific basis.
Working in teams or individually, a Capstone Project will enable MBA students to apply their knowledge in real-world scenarios. This can be in the form of an internship, entrepreneurial start-up or a sustainability consulting assignment for a specific area of business.
Our UM staff works one-on-one with students in their chosen field, giving them a level of depth and expertise they can’t get anywhere else. Capstone projects help our students explore and choose a path, providing a roadmap to successfully transition into their careers.